September 21, 2019, 12:21:53 pm

Identify This Please

Started by JohnnyB, February 06, 2019, 01:27:13 am

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnnyB

February 06, 2019, 01:27:13 am Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 01:41:52 am by JohnnyB
I recently bought a secondhand 40 liter tank that had stashed away in the filter tray, those two items as shown in the image.

It comprises a fine mesh sealed plastic bag/container and on the inside are what appear to be copper colored grains of something or other, anyone care to hazard a guess-timation on what they might be?

Please tell me they are extremely rare and valuable and your prepared to pay a princely sum to own them.  ;D

It is what it is, until it isn't, then it's something else entirely!

tva351

Johnny B you are so lucky to find two rare and expensive............nah, I don't know what they are. What sort of filter were they in ?  ;)

sabertooth

Looks like a bag of Vermiculite used as a filter medium.
><((((º>` • . ¸¸ . • ´` • . . . ¸><((((º>¸ . • ´` • . ><((((º> ` • .
¸¸¸¸¸¸¸I'm Just here for the Beer and Shrimp!` ¸¸¸¸¸¸¸
><((((º>` • . ¸¸ . • ´` • . . . ¸><((((º>¸ . • ´` • . ><((((º> ` • .

JohnnyB

Quote from: tva351 on February 06, 2019, 03:10:13 am
Johnny B you are so lucky to find two rare and expensive............nah, I don't know what they are. What sort of filter were they in ?  ;)

WooH... um, and here is me thinking I hit the jackpot.   ::)

Was a self contained filter in the top of the tank, has two baskets for media each end and in the gap in the middle was these two bags of rare unused 'stuff'.

JohnnyB

Quote from: sabertooth on February 06, 2019, 04:27:17 am
Looks like a bag of Vermiculite used as a filter medium.

Sabertooth I do believe you might be correct, been searching about and while I cannot find images like that, there are images of vermiculite and it appears very similar.

Thanks, I have learnt something new again today.  :)

Ohh, not sure if I'm game to use it though, might just keep it in the draw and look at it now and again.

MoJiTo

Vermiculite bags for sure ...  :-X
Ima lovin shrimps and mojito's, not necessarily in that order !