November 15, 2019, 09:24:22 am

Malaysian Trumpet Snails

Started by SnappaGuy, December 22, 2018, 11:02:26 am

Previous topic - Next topic

SnappaGuy

December 22, 2018, 11:02:26 am Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 02:01:09 am by SnappaGuy
G'day All,

Interested to read some differing perspectives on Malaysian Trumpet Snails.

I just added a number to a 40L tank containing RCS believing them to be beneficial members of the community.
I understand in certain circumstances they can present a problem, whats everyones thoughts on this?

Cheers ... SnappaGuy.
I won't accept just any kind of krap, only the highest quality krap will do!

CrazyElk

December 22, 2018, 11:12:10 am #1 Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 09:24:58 pm by CrazyElk
Hi,

I love'em, they keep all manner of krap under control and there fun to watch scurrying about.

Don't overfeed them or you WILL have a problem, otherwise I think you should be fine.

How about posting a pic of the tank, be good to check it out?

Crazy.
Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh !

SnappaGuy

December 26, 2018, 02:03:16 am #2 Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 02:04:52 am by SnappaGuy
Well the snails have settled in nicely and appear to be getting on ok with the red cherries but they seem to be eating the Ambulia in the tank off at ground level, is this normal or do I need to feed them more?   :-\

morgan16

Quote from: SnappaGuy on December 26, 2018, 02:03:16 am
Well the snails have settled in nicely and appear to be getting on ok with the red cherries but they seem to be eating the Ambulia in the tank off at ground level, is this normal or do I need to feed them more?   :-\

This happened to me also so i gave them more to eat and it fixed it. :P
Tank - AquaOne 380    Filter - Inbuilt 400lph    Heater - 55w    Substrate - AquaOne White Gravel    Plants - Live Pine Needles

sabertooth

I am a big believer of snails in your tank when keeping shrimp. I keep Malaysian trumpet snails and  gold,blue&pink Ramshorn snails since i have a planted tank and both don't eat live plants. The Malaysian trumpets aerate my substrate  to prevent gas pockets and the Ramshorn are my ground level clean up crew eating any leftover food. I was also finding without snails in my tank that i was getting Nemotode micro worms (Detritus Worms) popping up and as the snails now eat any leftover food this seems to have kept these suckers in check. Snail poo is also a great supplementary food for shrimp and also provide a bit of fun for the shrimp as they love to ride them like horses. Can never have enough snails in your tank they provide a balanced aquarium.
><((((º>` • . ¸¸ . • ´` • . . . ¸><((((º>¸ . • ´` • . ><((((º> ` • .
¸¸¸¸¸¸¸I'm Just here for the Beer and Shrimp!` ¸¸¸¸¸¸¸

morgan16

Quote from: sabertooth on December 27, 2018, 07:35:52 pm
I am a big believer of snails in your tank when keeping shrimp. I keep Malaysian trumpet snails and  gold,blue&pink Ramshorn snails since i have a planted tank and both don't eat live plants. The Malaysian trumpets aerate my substrate  to prevent gas pockets and the Ramshorn are my ground level clean up crew eating any leftover food. I was also finding without snails in my tank that i was getting Nemotode micro worms (Detritus Worms) popping up and as the snails now eat any leftover food this seems to have kept these suckers in check. Snail poo is also a great supplementary food for shrimp and also provide a bit of fun for the shrimp as they love to ride them like horses. Can never have enough snails in your tank they provide a balanced aquarium.

hahaha @ "like horses" giddy up! 
Welcome to Shrimp-Attack, nice to meet ya. 
Tank - AquaOne 380    Filter - Inbuilt 400lph    Heater - 55w    Substrate - AquaOne White Gravel    Plants - Live Pine Needles

sabertooth

Its like Melbourne cup day every day in my tank  ;)

morgan16

Quote from: sabertooth on December 27, 2018, 09:20:54 pm
Its like Melbourne cup day every day in my tank  ;)

How often do you pick the winner, lol?   :P

sabertooth

Their all winners, cant play favorites.

CrazyElk

I'll have ten bucks on the big one in the corner.  ;D

Seriously though, I luve these snails ... I understand they could be troublesome in certain circumstances but for me a big thumbs up.
Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh !

SnappaGuy

January 01, 2019, 04:33:09 am #10 Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 05:06:46 am by SnappaGuy
I have some of these to give away to forum members if they would like some ... checkout https://shrimp-attack.com/index.php/topic,47.0.html for details.

morgan16

Quote from: SnappaGuy on January 01, 2019, 04:33:09 am
I have some of these to give away to forum members if they would like some ... checkout https://shrimp-attack.com/index.php/topic,47.0.html for details.

If mine keep breeding like they have, I will have some to give away also.  :)