October 24, 2019, 10:55:24 am

My Shrimp Tank

Started by morgan16, December 24, 2018, 06:15:03 am

Previous topic - Next topic

morgan16

December 24, 2018, 06:15:03 am Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 04:52:25 pm by SnappaGuy
Hello,

I hope I am in the right area, I have some red cherry shrimp, please move this if its wrong.

This is my tank which I have not had very long, it has 10 red cherries in it and ten Malaysion trumpet snails but I hope to breed some more of each.

What does everyone think?

Morgan.   :-*

Tank - AquaOne 380    Filter - Inbuilt 400lph    Heater - 55w    Substrate - AquaOne White Gravel    Plants - Live Pine Needles

SnappaGuy

December 24, 2018, 04:57:55 pm #1 Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 04:59:27 pm by SnappaGuy
Hiya Morgan,

Welcome to the forum and yep, your post is in the right place.

That looks like an AquaOne 380, how close am i?

Ohh, and your tank is way kewl, rcs and mts make a great team, keep up the fine work.   :)

Cheers ... SnappaGuy.
I won't accept just any kind of krap, only the highest quality krap will do!

morgan16

Hello SnappaGuy, yes it is an aqua one 380, good guess.

Ohhhh, I'm all excited, some of my shrimp are molting, what does that mean please, anyone know?   :-*
Tank - AquaOne 380    Filter - Inbuilt 400lph    Heater - 55w    Substrate - AquaOne White Gravel    Plants - Live Pine Needles

TubeoGrab

Shrimp outgrow their old outer shell and shed the old one when it does not fit properly anymore.   :o

morgan16

I"m EXCITED, I just now discovered a berried shrimp in my aquarium, we are having babies .... WOW!   :P

tva351

Ok. Lets get started. What you need first is moss.Any of the types will do, Java, Christmas, any. It grows easily and with minimal light. Shrimp need to feel secure especially when they moult so you need places for them to hide. Get yourself some Subwassertang, another undemanding plant. It is actually a freshwater seaweed. It will attach itself to anything you want in the tank a rock or whatever and the shrimp will clean it and graze on biofilm that will grow on it. This one is a must for shrimp tanks. Cholla wood. It is basically dried cactus and shrimp love it too hide in and graze on organisms that grow on it. Enjoy your cherries it will not be the only shrimp you keep. :D

morgan16

Quote from: tva351 on December 29, 2018, 11:24:26 pm
Ok. Lets get started. What you need first is moss.Any of the types will do, Java, Christmas, any. It grows easily and with minimal light. Shrimp need to feel secure especially when they moult so you need places for them to hide. Get yourself some Subwassertang, another undemanding plant. It is actually a freshwater seaweed. It will attach itself to anything you want in the tank a rock or whatever and the shrimp will clean it and graze on biofilm that will grow on it. This one is a must for shrimp tanks. Cholla wood. It is basically dried cactus and shrimp love it too hide in and graze on organisms that grow on it. Enjoy your cherries it will not be the only shrimp you keep. :D

Thanks for the great advice, i don't have any moss yet but i will get some and some of the cactus wood, umm where do you get that btw?

morgan16

Could anyone tell me please, how long I have to wait for my baby cherry shrimp to hatch?

tva351

Morgan,I get my cholla wood off ebay. You might be able to get it at a pet shop but I  don't know, sorry.   :(

tva351

Cherry Shrimp eggs take about 3 weeks to hatch. You will notice as the female carries them around with her, moving them around all the time cleaning them, they will get darker and darker until they eventually hatch. The young are exact miniature versions of the adults but just paler. You might be lucky to see them hatch but more likely it will happen in cover away from prying eyes. :D

sabertooth

Hey Morgan you can still get some decent size pieces of Cholla wood down at Seaview aquarium on Anzac Highway. Cholla is no longer imported into Australia due to too many hoops people have to jump through to import it so what is around is pretty much it.
><((((º>` • . ¸¸ . • ´` • . . . ¸><((((º>¸ . • ´` • . ><((((º> ` • .
¸¸¸¸¸¸¸I'm Just here for the Beer and Shrimp!` ¸¸¸¸¸¸¸

morgan16

Quote from: sabertooth on January 02, 2019, 05:00:28 pm
Hey Morgan you can still get some decent size pieces of Cholla wood down at Seaview aquarium on Anzac Highway. Cholla is no longer imported into Australia due to too many hoops people have to jump through to import it so what is around is pretty much it.

Thank you so much sabertooth, I rang them and they have some left, so off to the shops I go.  :-*

What is the problem importing it do you know?

sabertooth

Apparently they kept being stopped at quarantine and it all got to hard to bring it in. The guys at Seaview will tell you the story they were one of the last shops i found that were not cut down into tiny pieces and stock levels were decent enough to pick and choose from. I drove to quite a few shops in Adelaide finding only the odd piece here and there. You never know what you are going to get online as they are pretty much stock photos, I like to take the tape measure and pick some good ones personally.
¸¸¸¸¸¸¸I'm Just here for the Beer and Shrimp!` ¸¸¸¸¸¸¸

morgan16

Ok, still no cactus wood but I have a piece of drift wood, is that ok to use?  ;)

tva351

Absolutely. Driftwood is a great base for biofilm to grow. Put a piece in every shrimp tank you have. It will probably leach a little tannins , but it  is not harmful. Just yellow the water a little. A great mineral for shrimp and will clear your water is montmorilinite rock. I have some in every shrimp tank 
I have. ;)