March 23, 2019, 08:08:44 pm

CrossBreeding and Chart

Started by SnappaGuy, December 23, 2018, 11:59:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

TheProfessoR

December 23, 2018, 11:59:26 pm Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 12:12:59 am by TheProfessoR
Which Shrimp Together?

There is no question dwarf freshwater shrimp are both gorgeous and addictive.

So why can't I put different types of shrimp in together to make a vibrant color mix in my tank?

Because some types of shrimp require very specific water parameters which may not suit other types but beyond this, there is potential your different shrimp varieties could simply interbreed/crossbreed in the same tank.

This  type of interbreeding between differing species or differing color morphs of a same species will produce hybrids that may not replicate the coloring of their parents, they may be something else entirely different.

Kewl To Create New Variety?

Generally the answer is no, given most of these new shrimp will resemble a wild version of their type.

Its likely they will be smaller and have lost much of their parents coloration with these animals usually more translucent and varying shades of pale brown and gray which are generally considered to be un-attractive.

One of the easiest ways to indentify if two shrimp varieties will interbreed is to determine their scientific names and make a comparison.

A scientific name is both the genus and species and so for the popular dwarf variety 'red cherry shrimp' (RCS) and using the scientific name of neocaridina davidi var. 'red' we can determine that its genus is neocaradina and its species is davidi with a red color variation.

A similarly popular dwarf freshwater variety are crystal red shrimp (CRS) having a scientific name of Caridina cf. cantonensis var. 'crystal red' where caridina  is the genus and  cantonensis is the species with a variation of 'crystal shrimp'.

Shrimp having identical genus and species will most certainly interbreed resulting in hybrids and ocassionally though NOT always shrimp having a similar genus name will interbreed, also resulting in a hybrid.

From the examples you see that red cherry shrimp (RCS) and crystal red shrimp (CRS) have differing genus meaning they will most certainly not interbreed but in the case of lets say, yellow shrimp (neocaridina davidi var. 'yellow') and the blue pearl shrimp (neocaridina cf. zhangjiajiensis var. 'blue') it is to be accepted that they will sucessfully interbreed given they share the same genus.

The good news to be taken from this is that is that shrimp with different genus will NOT interbreed and can be safely housed in the same tank.

Crossbreeding Chart

Attached to this post is a chart that should simplify the task of choosing those species that can co-habitate in the one aquarium, please feel free to download your own copy.

Handsome Hybrids Hard

The reason creating hybrid shrimp is somewhat daunting is that shrimp don't breed like other organisms, whereby you can cross two different species and combine the best characteristics of both.

In the case of these little creatures, you cannot take a Yellow Shrimp and cross it with a Blue Shrimp to create a "Green Shrimp" ... sorry NOT gonna happen.

Usually, selective breeding is the way to create new colorful strains. With this type of selective breeding shrimps with colors of interest are taken from the wild, with the desired sought after colors breed out over future generations.

Having said that however, there are cases creating hybrids makes great sense and can result in absolutely gorgeous shrimp with a stable genus, checkout KingKong Panda shrimp if this holds your interest.

Cheers ... SnappaGuy.

Prawncilla6

Who knew this stuff?

Thanks for the awsome post and I got a copy of the chart, thanks and keep up the great job.   :-*

MoJiTo

Got me a copy too boss, thanks for the info.   :o
Ima lovin shrimps and mojito's, not necessarily in that order !

sabertooth

><((((º>` • . ¸¸ . • ´` • . . . ¸><((((º>¸ . • ´` • . ><((((º> ` • .
¸¸¸¸¸¸¸I'm Just here for the Beer and Shrimp!` ¸¸¸¸¸¸¸
><((((º>` • . ¸¸ . • ´` • . . . ¸><((((º>¸ . • ´` • . ><((((º> ` • .

SnappaGuy

I won't accept just any kind of krap, only the highest quality krap will do!

JohnnyB

It is what it is, until it isn't, then it's something else entirely!

after_burner

QuoteI'm told that nothing is impossible, but I do that every day ... wtf?

morgan16

Thank you, I understand more about breeding the different species now, some do and some don't it seems.  :-*
Tank - AquaOne 380    Filter - Inbuilt 400lph    Heater - 55w    Substrate - AquaOne White Gravel    Plants - Live Pine Needles