July 23, 2019, 10:55:06 pm

polyfilter - Im Sold

Started by sabertooth, March 30, 2019, 09:19:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

sabertooth

Not sure if anybody has tried this stuff: "Polyfilter" but it is absolutely amazing!  :o  After watching Rachel O'Leary youtube I thought I would give it a go.
I normally run a sponge filter as well as a top filter on my shrimp tanks. my top filter runs wool filter pad, Seachem matrix, filter floss.
On one of the tanks I thought I would do a little experiment I cut a small strip of polyfilter around 20mm wide the length of the filter and sat under my spray bars and about an hour later I thought my water is looking pretty good went to bed and woke up this morning and man my water looks absolutely amazing. My tank is so clear and its inhabitants are way more active it looks like my shrimp are floating on air. 
So this morning I did another test on my small snail breeding set up one of the dirtiest tanks just running a sponge filter I thought I would cut a small square and float it in the water, 2 hours later the tank is clear.
It also apparently removes ammonia, heavy metals including copper, harmful organics, all forms of phosphate. :o
I don't know what voodoo and witchcraft they pack into this stuff but it works a treat.
><((((º>` • . ¸¸ . • ´` • . . . ¸><((((º>¸ . • ´` • . ><((((º> ` • .
¸¸¸¸¸¸¸I'm Just here for the Beer and Shrimp!` ¸¸¸¸¸¸¸

TeX

Ok, looks interesting ... where can you get this and how much does it cost?

sabertooth

I got mine from petstock $24, since they match prices i just googled and found the cheapest price and they matched it. I think the shelf price was $26.

TeX

Ok, that's not so bad, what size sheet do you get for that?

sabertooth

4"x8" so about 100mm x 200mm. its not a huge pad but is enough for a 180l and you replace it when it goes dark brown/black. My shrimp tanks are in 10 gallon tanks so i have used one pad cut into 5 strips 20mm wide and 200mm long pieces and sat them under the spraybars.
I liked that is adsobs as well as absorbs so you can either have water flowing over it or just pop it in the tank so gives you the option if you are not running secondary filtration and just a single sponge filter like most shrimp keepers are.
I am doing TDS daily and ammonia, nitrite, nitrate every second day to see what it does. The first tank i put it in dropped by 10ppm in tds, ph stable, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate is 0. The pad changes colour to indicate what it is taking out and it seems to be just organic particulate matter. I also had a light oily film on top of the tank that has also dissapeared. Will monitor it over the week to see how it goes. I have fairly detailed readings for how my tank fluctuates between water changes so if it remains stable over a longer period  i will extend my time between water changes.

tva351

I'm going to buy some this week and cut it into inch squares and put one piece into every shrimp tank I have. I will just let it float around and see what sort of nasties it absorbs. Thanks for the tip,Sabertooth.  ;)

sabertooth

April 06, 2019, 09:50:14 pm #6 Last Edit: April 06, 2019, 09:58:08 pm by sabertooth
Here are my results after running polyfilter 1 week.
PH (7.2), Nitrites(0), Nirtates(0), ammonia (0). pretty much remained unchanged.
TDS is more stable
Tank is sparkly clear
Decided to hold off on my water change and see if i can go for another week.
Shrimp are a lot more active than before. Also found a number of crystal and tiger shrimp that previously were obstaining from sex berried.
Polyfilter pad is starting to go to a dark brown colour so am thinking "might change it out today". My thoughts are the longer you use it the longer it lasts. eg. once it has taken all the crap out of the water and there is no more to take out it should last longer between changes.
Also, put this in another family members tank heavily stocked with guppys and snails on Wednesday and interestingly enough the filter started to turn yellowish green indicating ammonia. None of there snails were moving around  but they called me later and said the snails were going insane crawling all over the tank like they have just woken from a deep sleep. I cant believe people keep fish, dont do regular water changes and testing.
Anybody else had a chance to try this stuff? 

tva351

I put a little piece in every tank and all it has taken out,according to the colour,is organic waste. This is good,as it tells you nothing else is going on. The shrimp do seem more active,swimming around more. I will have to buy a big pad next time as the little one cut up only just does all the tanks. People who don't do partial water changes on tanks don't seem to understand the hidden dangers and harm they are doing to their creatures. At least they have us to school them on proper procedures, eh Sabertooth? ;)

sabertooth

April 07, 2019, 11:59:54 pm #8 Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 12:04:13 am by sabertooth
you can see the difference in colour change from the guppy tank(3 days) vs shrimp tank (24hr).