October 24, 2019, 09:53:23 am

Just set up another tank 😅

Started by Zak, March 24, 2019, 12:46:29 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Zak

This hobby has got me hooked ahaha I've set up my 13th tank over the past 2 days it's a 120L planted tank, stocked with 1 large 4 bar cross blue anglefish, 2 small silver sharks, 1 male half moon betta, 7 dalmation mollies, 3 yoyo loaches, 4 Kuhli loaches and a heap of ramshorn and Mystory snails, hopefully I'll be able to add a few cherry shrimp and they won't all be eaten
I'll try attaching a photo, anyone else have planted tanks?
Would love any tips or insights

tva351

The yoyo loach (botia almorhae) is a great addition to a planted tank but you might be better off with corydoras instead. Botia species are effective snailers. Anything slow moving on the bottom of the tank,they will vacuum up. They will sit on the bottom happily sucking a small snail right out of their shell. I had them years ago and watched this happen. If you put shrimp in with a loach,be prepared to lose them because they eat shrimp as happily as they do snails. If you had a planted tank with a snail problem, these are the fish to get rid of them. Sorry for the bad news but I would not put shrimp in there with them.
I also have a planted community tank of fish and shrimp but I keep corydoras as a bottom scavenger as they don't eat shrimp. Also you have Angelfish in the tank and being a South American Cichlid they will happily eat your shrimp as that is part of their normal diet. I hope this advice helps your decision. Good luck.

Zak

The yoyo loaches are one of my favourites in the tank, and I've got some many snails across all my tanks I keep the 120 pretty socked with ramhorns as they seem to leave the mystery snails alone, I've moved the angel to a bigger tank with plans to get more so I might try putting in 10 glass shrimp and see how they go, thank you for the tips and insight, I now plan on adding some Cory cats to a shrimp tank as I needed some bottom feeder but was told Plecos would attack shrimp

Girrig

Quote from: tva351 on March 24, 2019, 09:47:57 pmThe yoyo loach (botia almorhae) is a great addition to a planted tank but you might be better off with corydoras instead. Botia species are effective snailers. Anything slow moving on the bottom of the tank,they will vacuum up. They will sit on the bottom happily sucking a small snail right out of their shell. I had them years ago and watched this happen. If you put shrimp in with a loach,be prepared to lose them because they eat shrimp as happily as they do snails. If you had a planted tank with a snail problem, these are the fish to get rid of them. Sorry for the bad news but I would not put shrimp in there with them.
I also have a planted community tank of fish and shrimp but I keep corydoras as a bottom scavenger as they don't eat shrimp. Also you have Angelfish in the tank and being a South American Cichlid they will happily eat your shrimp as that is part of their normal diet. I hope this advice helps your decision. Good luck.

I'd say the exception would be kuhli loaches, my best shrimp tank actually has a pair of them. I've heard corydoras are shrimp eaters from what I've heard from people anyway. Not sure about the dwarf species though

TeX

April 23, 2019, 06:17:40 am #4 Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 06:24:56 am by TeX

I have a pair of albino cories in with shrimp and they don't seem to pose any threat to them. I've never seen any untoward behaviour and the shrimp numbers are consistent.