July 23, 2019, 12:09:21 pm

Native Australian Caridina Shrimp

Started by tva351, March 10, 2019, 02:50:14 am

Previous topic - Next topic

tva351

March 10, 2019, 02:50:14 am Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 07:46:36 pm by tva351
Recently I purchased a whole heap of new shrimp from a breeder in Darwin because they were so cheap.I purchased Caridina sp NT2 "Blackmore River Caridina", Caridina sp NT nilotica "Darwin Algae Shrimp" and Caridina sp WA4 "North Australian Chameleon Shrimp".I purchased these shrimp because they are Caridina shrimp that are native to Australia, and because I didn't know we had Caridina shrimp in Australia.
The Blackmore River Caridina shrimp is a brown to reddish shrimp with spots and stripes and changes colour a little bit to it's surroundings.This shrimp likes a lot of leaf litter to feed on and to feel comfortable and secure in it's environment.I am waiting for these shrimp to get a little bit bigger and to get comfortable to see them really start to colour up.
The Darwin Algae Shrimp is a little bigger than the other types and the female is larger with colour, males are smaller and clear.The colours range from light green to red with a white stripe running from the rostrum to the tip of the tail.Apparently it doesn't reproduce very well in freshwater,however some juvies do survive.There is no research for reproducing this species however it appears to be similar to some other Atyiid shrimps in that it needs a marine or brackish phase in it's life cycle. All of the females I have are berried so we will see what happens.
The North Australian Chameleon Shrimp is a reddish to brown to black shrimp that does change to it's surroundings. Mine have stripes some of the time and spots some of the time depending on where they are in the tank.I believe this is a pretty little shrimp and I am looking forward to seeing them colour up when they settle in to their new habitat.
If you want to see more of these shrimp or purchase some for yourself,then head on over to www.aquagreen.com.au

Girrig

Think I could keep the chameleons with Cherry's? Been thinking about for few weeks. Seen some others on gumtree selling them for super cheap

tva351

Absolutely. Just make sure they are the true Caridina chameleons and not some cherry mix being flogged off. The Caridina chameleons will not interbreed with the Neocaridina Davidi (Cherries).Since they share similar water conditions,they will be compatible. Go get some!!  :D