September 17, 2019, 02:33:17 am

Breeding

Started by Jollie91, February 17, 2019, 06:19:11 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Jollie91

How do you breed shrimp? How do you make sure they stay 'pure' as I've been told you can't just breed them, it takes dedication, time, planning and no inbreeding etc.

tva351

Hi Jollie91.On the site elsewhere is the basics for breeding shrimp. But generally what you need is a tank,substrate,sponge filter,some moss and some water. For Neocaridina  20-27°C, ph 6.5-7.5, 150-300ppm tds. Basically, water out of your tap. If you have a test kit,test for chlorine and chloramine and make sure to cycle the tank with snails for at least a month, add the cherries and you're away.  :)

tva351

On keeping the line pure, unfortunately you must cull or at the very least take the clear or less coloured one's out. Thus keeping the best most colourful one's breeding together to keep that pure colour going. I don't cull my shrimp because I don't like to kill any of them. I just try and put them in a different tank to live out their lives ;) 

Jollie91

morgan16

Quote from: tva351 on February 20, 2019, 04:24:48 amOn keeping the line pure, unfortunately you must cull or at the very least take the clear or less coloured one's out. Thus keeping the best most colourful one's breeding together to keep that pure colour going. I don't cull my shrimp because I don't like to kill any of them. I just try and put them in a different tank to live out their lives ;) 

You are a kind person.  ;)
Tank - AquaOne 380    Filter - Inbuilt 400lph    Heater - 55w    Substrate - AquaOne White Gravel    Plants - Live Pine Needles

morgan16

I had no idea how to breed shrimp not long ago but they are multiplying like crazy in my tank. I'm not looking for pure breeds or any fancy colours, I just wanted to see what all the fuss was about. Maybe though, I will attempt to keep a 'high grade' line some time in the future.
Tank - AquaOne 380    Filter - Inbuilt 400lph    Heater - 55w    Substrate - AquaOne White Gravel    Plants - Live Pine Needles

dingus2018

As earlier suggested, its a question of letting them multiply and then removing from the tank any animals not up to the standard your after.

Generally its about colour hue and saturation, so if you find some animals not as bright a red as the general population you might consider removing them to another tank, remembering though that males are generally less colourful than females, so don't take out all your males.

Same goes with erratic colouring, consider removing those that are blotchy in colour, leaving the solid coloured ones to continue breeding, then rinse and repeat. 

That's what takes the time and patience but eventually you will end up with a colony of very high quality shrimp, as well as a tank full of those that did not make the cut but are still nonetheless awesome little animals.  ;)

I'm not always right, but I'm NEVER wrong!