How many ml in a drop and why is this useful when adding water conditioner?

Started by sabertooth, February 02, 2019, 07:55:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

sabertooth

Did you know 1 drop = 0.0648524 mL, WOW :o
Why is this information useful?
Those of us who use water conditioner in their tanks such as API Tap Water Conditioner.  The recommendation of 3ml per 60litres or .05ml per litre when you break it down to de-chlorinate and detoxify heavy metals from tap water.
API give you a pretty crappy measure on the cap witch is only really useful if you have a  large tank and doing big water changes or setting up a new tank/.
Since most shrimp keepers would have around a 10 gallon or 45 litre tank or even nano tanks your water changer are quite small maybe 3-4litres week.
So if you are only changing 4 litres pop in 4 drops with a syringe or pipette and you are pretty much on the money for having the right amount of conditioner in your water.
You may or may not care now about having this new knowledge but some may find it useful.
><((((º>` • . ¸¸ . • ´` • . . . ¸><((((º>¸ . • ´` • . ><((((º> ` • .
¸¸¸¸¸¸¸I'm Just here for the Beer and Shrimp!` ¸¸¸¸¸¸¸

tva351

I Don't use it. For the Neo's, water comes straight out of the tap and goes straight into the tank. For the 10years or so I spent breeding African Cichlids, I never used a water conditioner for their water either. But, for new comers or people setting up new tanks and don't want to wait a month or two for the tank to cycle, I suppose it has a purpose. Horses for courses, eh.

sabertooth

I thought Chlorine and chloramine are toxic to shrimp. I wonder if this Is this a practice others are doing "not using water conditioner"?
¸¸¸¸¸¸¸I'm Just here for the Beer and Shrimp!` ¸¸¸¸¸¸¸

tva351

I have never used a water conditioner for my tanks and I am not going to start now. As for the chlorine, I think Adelaide tap water is generally the same but the same can't be said for pipes, taps and everything else the water travels through before it comes out of your tap. My house is brand-new. We built it 5 years ago in a brand-new suburb.The pipes and everything else connected to it are new. But obviously some old houses with old pipes, etc., water coming out of their taps could be high in all sorts of heavy metals, copper and the like. Far be it for me to tell you not to use a conditioner for the water coming out of your tap. Please do what works for you. You  would probably have a stroke if you saw how I water change my Neo tanks. They are very hardy and I can't seem to kill them. But my Caridina are much more sensitive to water parameters and I take much more care of their water than the Neo's. I have been keeping aquatic animals for well over 20years and I have made some mistakes over the years but you learn from them and carry on. I must remember that some people don't have as much experience as others and my posts should reflect that. I apologize if my previous post was confusing to some but I can't change the way I do things. If you have always used a water conditioner don't stop now. Keep doing what is making your shrimp happy and you happy. :)

MoJiTo

I use it for sure. While levels of chlorine etc coming from the tap may be below the threshold where it noticeably affects your shrimp, I think the potential exists for this stuff to do more harm than good, so in she goes and with a syringe also if its only a small change. :)
Ima lovin shrimps and mojito's, not necessarily in that order !