Shrimp Sex Vs Temperature < YES THIS IS ABOUT SHRIMP SEX!

Started by sabertooth, January 18, 2019, 10:09:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

sabertooth

So as the temperatures are creeping up in Australia its probably a good time to discuss temperature for your Neo's. Since i have a lot of prego females in my tank i was wondering how much the temp will effect the offspring male/female sex ratios since i want to maintain an optimal breeding ratio and don't want a tank full of males. Ideally the temperature should be around  (21-24C) but i have been noticing lately my temps have been going up above this to (25-26C). Since the sex of shrimp seems to be directly related to temperature to remain at a 50/50 ratio of males/females it is ideal to keep a temperature of  23 degrees.  To maintain optimal breeding i have started to make a few changes to my shrimping practices. Reduced the time my lights are on from 10hours to 6hours, popping in a few ice cubes when i am away at work and the A/C is not on ( if I know its going to be a stinker), leaving the top of the tank open to encourage evaporation and not trap in the heat. by making these changes i have been able to stay within the ideal range of  (21-24C). I have also attached a chart to understand temperature vs sex ratio. Feel free to share your experiences.
><((((º>` • . ¸¸ . • ´` • . . . ¸><((((º>¸ . • ´` • . ><((((º> ` • .
¸¸¸¸¸¸¸I'm Just here for the Beer and Shrimp!` ¸¸¸¸¸¸¸

alfie42

26C for me, been up and down and that gives the best results imo.

sabertooth

what type of ratio are you getting Alfie m/f compared with the chart?
¸¸¸¸¸¸¸I'm Just here for the Beer and Shrimp!` ¸¸¸¸¸¸¸