What are your target water parameters for you neos

Started by sabertooth, December 27, 2018, 09:14:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

sabertooth

What water parameters are you keeping your neos in do you have a target you aim for and what is the actual?
Target PH (6.7-7.5) / Actual PH (7.2-7.4)
Target Temp (21-24) / Actual Temp (22-24)
Target Nitrate N02 (0)(Keep under <.25PPM)  / Actual N02 (0 stable)
Target Nitrite N03 (0) / Actual Nitrite N03 (0 stable)
Target Ammonia (0)(Keep under <.25) / Actual Ammonia (0 stable)
Target GH (6-8) dH / Actual (6 stable)
Target KH (1-4) dKH / Actual (3 stable)
Target TDS (150-250)(300max) / Actual (270-275)
*I normally change 15-20% if the water weekly but have now gone to fortnightly changes using a blend of tap water and rain water to get it to 200ppm as my normal tap water seems to vary between 269-278.

><((((º>` • . ¸¸ . • ´` • . . . ¸><((((º>¸ . • ´` • . ><((((º> ` • .
¸¸¸¸¸¸¸I'm Just here for the Beer and Shrimp!` ¸¸¸¸¸¸¸

morgan16

I'm new to all this but will be giving this area greater attention, at the moment I really don't have an idea of the numbers so next on my list is a testing kit to check. I am using tap water at the moment but with something called 'water ager' in it when I change or add any water. At the moment I change about 30% weekly and then add the ager, do you think this is ok? My shrimp seem very happy, are molting and I just found one is berried.    :)
Tank - AquaOne 380    Filter - Inbuilt 400lph    Heater - 55w    Substrate - AquaOne White Gravel    Plants - Live Pine Needles

sabertooth

Cant live without my API Freshwater Master Test Kit and Xiao Mi TDS Pen. I went years never owning a test kit or testing the water in my fish aquarium just did regular water changes using tap water a bit of API Tap Water Conditioner and and no deaths and when i got shrimp and they started dying off i was like WTF. When I just started out keeping shrimp  I though those test kits are pretty pricey and i never tested water before so who needs them, everybody says just chuck them in water and they will do fine. So i used the cash i did not spend on a test kit to buy some sweet high grade shrimp that were pregger's in the first 3 weeks and died within a month. Now i know what water goes in the tank and when it starts to change i can do water changes. Managed to extend my water changes to 2 weekly now so less work and less stress on the shrimp       

tva351

I use test strips that you dip in the water then test after 1min. Very accurate and they test about 8 things on the one strip. Tds meter, you need one, invaluable.

sabertooth

Hey TVA what numbers you targeting with your tests.

tva351

For my Neo's my water parameters are as follows: 
Temp: 22-25c   Ph: 6.5-7.5   Ammonia: 0  Chlorine: 0   Nitrite:  0   Nitrate:  0   Kh: 3-10  Gh:  6-8  Tds: 600-800ppm.
The tds is very high, but that is straight out of the tap here in Adelaide.All the Neo's I have are locally bred in Adelaide tap water so they are used to solids in the water. My Caridina do not live in hard tap water. I use R/O water for them mixed with Bee Shrimp GH+ for a total tds of 120ppm.Hope this was helpful. ;)

morgan16

Quote from: tva351 on December 30, 2018, 01:11:46 am
I use test strips that you dip in the water then test after 1min. Very accurate and they test about 8 things on the one strip. Tds meter, you need one, invaluable.

Any particular brand tva351?
Tank - AquaOne 380    Filter - Inbuilt 400lph    Heater - 55w    Substrate - AquaOne White Gravel    Plants - Live Pine Needles

sabertooth

I think you are better off getting a API Master Test Kit & API GH+KH test kit if you can afford them as as it is more accurate and work out cheaper in the long run.
If you are happy with a round about the Tetra strips are probably the better ones. Steer clear of the API test strips as they really suck.
Really only comes down to time if you are happy with a round about that takes less than a minute go with the test strips or go for the liquid if you want a little more accuracy but takes you 10 times longer to get the results.
TDS pens are worth their weight in gold, great for acclimation new shrimp to your tank as when you get matching TDS/Temp results you know its time to pop your newbies in. also gives you an indication on when to change your water.

tva351

Tetra. Some people don't like them but aquarium shops worldwide swear by them. When you have a lot of tanks, as I do, it saves so much time and they are accurate. If you only have a couple of tanks then maybe you want to spend the time with liquid testing. When I was breeding Cichlids time was better spent in other areas, so test strips were the best option for me.

Girrig

Quote from: tva351 on December 30, 2018, 08:51:10 pm
For my Neo's my water parameters are as follows: 
Temp: 22-25c   Ph: 6.5-7.5   Ammonia: 0  Chlorine: 0   Nitrite:  0   Nitrate:  0   Kh: 3-10  Gh:  6-8  Tds: 600-800ppm.
The tds is very high, but that is straight out of the tap here in Adelaide.All the Neo's I have are locally bred in Adelaide tap water so they are used to solids in the water. My Caridina do not live in hard tap water. I use R/O water for them mixed with Bee Shrimp GH+ for a total tds of 120ppm.Hope this was helpful. ;)

Tds of 600-800.... What suburb you in? Here in Enfield mines 250-260

tva351

Woah. Just read my post again. Meant to be tds from tap is 300-400ppm. It gets as high as 700-800 in the tanks if I haven't water changed for a bit. The nano tanks don't have lids on them, so I mainly just top up weekly what has evaporated. When I do get around to doing a proper water change, the tds can be 700-800ppm. Sorry for the confusion I created  there.

sabertooth

The lowest i have ever got out of the tap in Adelaide is 240ppm, I find the TDS reading is lower if i run the tap for a while, recently watered the garden or filled up the pool.

alfie42

Umm, my target parameters are whatever comes out the tap, seems to work though. :)